Tuesday, September 27, 2005

DCB Collision


One of my favorite albums EVER releases today. I've had the privelage to have been listening constantly for the past couple weeks.
The David Crowder Band amazes me with their diverse musical style; the ability to make praise songs, techno, and bluegrass all sound good is amazing to me. I highly recommend listening to the album, and reading what it's all about.
Here's a little snapshot:
DC says the atom on the cover is "improper in its depiction of particle matter. We know in fact that electrons do not circle in elliptical paths around a nucleus. And this is the difficulty with symbols. They are never quite proper. They are always a bit broken...This is the essence of art. We are creating broken containers...
This music, broken, improper and inadequate in its response, is rooted in that hope. The Kingdom of Heaven is here and now and coming
...Here it comes, a beautiful collision is happening now.”
The album ends with DC being interviewed by stumbling stupid-sounding journalist whom I can totally relate to, as I've been very ignorant when interviewing artists before. But at least I appreciate the poem, The Lark Ascending, that Crowder partially recites by George Meredith (1828–1909), which I'm including here:

He rises and begins to round,
He drops the silver chain of sound
Of many links without a break,
In chirrup, whistle, slur and shake,
For singing till his heaven fills,
’T is love of earth that he instils,
And ever winging up and up,
Our valley is his golden cup,
And he the wine which overflows
To lift us with him as he goes:
Till lost on his aƫrial rings
In light, and then the fancy sings.

No comments: