Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Quote Collection: part 1

Today I bring you a random collection of quotes I like. Which is your favorite?

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it." --Amelia Earhart, aviation pioneer

"It takes 20 years of hard work to become an overnight success." --Diana Rankin, writer and public speaker

"Experience is the name everyone gives to his mistakes." --Oscar Wilde,Irish playwright, novelist and poet

"It is never too late -- in fiction or in life -- to revise." --Nancy Thayer,novelist

"You can't hold a man down without staying down with him." --Booker T. Washington, educator and author

"I think the one lesson I have learned is that there is no substitute for paying attention." --Diane Sawyer, TV journalist

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy." --Paul Sweeney, author

"When someone does something good, applaud! You will make two people happy." --Samuel Goldwyn, film producer

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." --Jack London, writer

"Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, 'Make me feel important.'" --Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." --Frederick Douglass, abolitionist, writer and speaker

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all." --Peter F. Drucker, writer, professor and consultant

"It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it." --Albert Einstein, German-born Swiss-American physicist

4 comments:

katie said...

Good stuff, sista! I'll have to read through them again soon.

It's a tough call, but I'll go with Frederick Douglass on this one. We had to read his story in college, and he will forever stand out in my mind as a pretty incredible man.

Anonymous said...

Great quotes! My fav..."The most effective way to do it, is to do it." --Amelia Earhart, aviation pioneer ...so TRUE! You can think and think and plan, then plan some more, but until you step out and go, well you don't get anywhere!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting. It is hard to decide so I picked my top three.

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." --Jack London, writer

"Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, 'Make me feel important.'" --Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." --Frederick Douglass, abolitionist, writer and speaker

Hope you are enjoying THIS day!

Anonymous said...

It is never too late--in fiction or in life--to revise.

That's my favorite from the list.

From what I have learned about you from reading your blog, if and when you post Part 2, I expect to see.

Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!

Adm. David Farragut

A few of my personal favorites:

Never, never, NEVER give up!
Churchill

Give me Liberty or give me Death!
Patrick Henry

Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men. Goethe

And finally:

YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!!!
Bo and Luke Duke
"The Dukes of Hazzard"