Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Run of My Life

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary. –Isaiah 40:31

This is one of my life verses. Call me crazy, but I love to run. Though I may never set any records (besides my own), I feel God’s pleasure when I run, just like Eric Liddell in Chariots of Fire.
Sunday I ran the P.F. Chang’s Rock n’ Roll Arizona half-marathon in Phoenix.



Even though I trained hard for 12 weeks I almost didn’t go. I thought it would be too expensive, too much of a hassle. Though it wasn’t cheap or easy, it was worth every penny and drop of sweat—and then some.

Thanks to my dear friend Ruth who encouraged me to seize the day (and to take pictures along the way)!



At each mile mark I kept being surprised at how good I felt. I started worrying what would happen when I finally reached mile 13. But I banished those futile thoughts and repeated in my head, “God gives joy for the journey and strength for each step.”
Life is so much like running. It’s not just about the finish line. All we have right now is this one step, this moment of this day. If we race well now, we’ll finish well later.
One mile at a time (averaging 7:50) I finished in 1:42, had fun, enjoyed the sun and felt really good during the run.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People who run impress me greatly. It's never been something I could do. In the best physical condition of my life, when I swam two miles a day, running a mile in PE nearly killed me. Eight measly minutes, and my lungs felt like they were hemorrhaging (which I can't spell and don't feel like looking up right now). Now I can hardly run two blocks.

So you're impressive. You ran 13 miles, which I can't even fathom. This is me in awe. Cuz you rock. :)

Tea with Tiffany said...

GOOD for YOU! I tear up when I watch a marathon, a triathlon, the Olympics, or anything that involves extensive training and endurance.

Yet life as a Christian is compared to this kind of thing. I hope to one day finish the race strong. Yet the truth is, as you said, it's done one step at a time. Thanks for the reminder and the blessing.

Congrats!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Another quick comment, I grew up in Arizona. What a great place to run the race---as long as it wasn't SUMMER! :)

Anonymous said...

Fun to read of your adventure and solid grounding.