Monday, July 31, 2006

Loser interviews Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell

Click here for an interview with Brian Littrell, Backstreet Boy turned-Christian music soloist.

I first met this pop-superstar in April at the Gospel Music Assoc. Week. His publicist asked me to interview him and I reluctantly agreed. The magazine I work for doesn’t typically print interviews, which is why I felt hesitant to waste his time.

However, I met an editor from Christianity Today at a Provident dinner. We got talking and I found out his interview with Brian was cancelled. We agreed that I would sell my interview write-up to CT.

What followed seemed a complete disaster. I almost turned down the story because I couldn’t get it completed (parents in town, writing a feature article at work) by the deadline they requested.
Then I couldn’t get a hold of his publicist to schedule a follow-up. Then I discovered Brian told me in about the exact same words what he tells every other media outlet. Then the interview was too short. But there was no way of getting a hold of him and asking more questions. I hear from CT they’ll pay me, but not as much as we agreed (I accept this—it’s my fault the interview is short). Then nothing. I assume they’ve decided not to publish it. Finally, I hear from my friendly editor it took “a while to get a few questions answered and get the interview to where my boss was satisfied.”

So now three months later it’s online. This is just to say you win some, you lose some.

I felt like a complete failure/loser during this entire process, but I pray God has used/is using it SOMEHOW for His glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey friend... Call me? :) Katie Schroder

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie,

I don't know why you're thinking that this was a failure. And if you're wondering if God used it, He sure did. I've been tracking Brian for a while because I've been comparing him to his contemporary, Britney Spears, because they had a lot in common before her life started spiralling down and this interview really helped me see what was different.

It's a brilliant interview. Don't you dismiss it as trite or anything. It's really shows people how you can live for God despite the circumstances. Any circumstance. Even being stuck in a life like that, he didn't go through what all the others did, because of God. :)

Thank you for the interview. It really helped me cement what I needed to confirm about living for God.