Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A more different kind of letting go

Some child psychologists say that power struggles happen with teenagers and parents so the adult will be more willing to usher the child “out of the nest” when the time comes. If the bond between the two was the same as when the child was an infant, the parent may never be able to let go.
I attended a funeral yesterday at a church filled with many white-haired people hobbling painfully in, probably pondering which one of them would be next to go.
I had a thought that God designs old age, pain, and disease so we’re more willing to let go of this life and be ushered into the next. Certainly, he doesn’t only take the elderly to be with Him in heaven—or the troubled and diseased. A couple weeks ago He took a 29 year-old who died of a mysterious and unexpected heart attack. The man left a wife and child, and one more on the way. Soldiers die in battle every day. I suppose pain and suffering make us more willing to go, but we should be ready whenever it may happen to us. And we should be ready to lose any number of people in our life. If there’s anything left unsaid, say it now—for tomorrow may be too late.
Since this is already quite a sobering post, I’ll leave you with a leaving poem.

What’s Left

Fingerprints on the TV screen.
She’d give back all the shows,
to hold his hand again.

Fingerprints on the computer monitor,
jealous he touched it so much.

Fingerprints on the mirror,
memory staring back at her.

Fingerprints on the doorknob,
on his way out.

3 comments:

katie said...

Dang, sister. Other than the title, that's all kinds of deep:) You're right, the Bible talks so often about the call to live as aliens and strangers here, to be ready to move on to what we were made for. Truly following Christ always leads us in that direction, be it through suffering or some other way.

And beautiful poem. As I grieve the loss of someone whose literal fingerprints are far away, I am still consistently blow away by the plethora of fingerprints she left all over my life.

Anonymous said...

Great article, Carrie! A deep subject - and you're right on!

allijack said...

whoa. yes. I went bra shopping with my 89 year old grandmother today (for her, not me) and she says things like "I don't like being old" sometimes and it's funny, because she's a funny gal, but there's this undeniable truth to it and I know she really means it. I hope that I have this "ushering-in" perspective when the time comes. Does any of this relate to the ways God designs sin (er, allows?) in relation to grace? one helps prepare us to be in a place to receive the next.