Monday, November 07, 2005

I'm trying to quit complaining cold turkey for Thanksgiving

I know someone who complains a lot.
I'm not saying this to criticize,
but to thank her for making me realize just how much I too am a complainer.
“I’m so tired.” “I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” “I don’t want to go to work tomorrow.”
Neither of us should be complaining.
We have SO much to be thankful for.
The fact that we have a job to drag ourselves to on a Monday
should make us slide our butts off our comfortable chairs
and onto our knees thanking God.
Have you ever known what it's like to be jobless, homeless, peniless?
To want to work, but no one would hire you?
To be too sick to work?
Or disabled?
I have not.
Have you ever wondered how those who are suffering intensely
can be the most grace-filled, thankful people?
They realize there’s more to life than an extra-hot foamy latte and perfect weather.
There’s even more to life than decent health, meaningful friendships, and thriving families (although those are wonderful things).
I've been feeling sorry for myself for far too long--for reasons that are so petty.
And I want to quit complaining.
Of course there's always room for honesty about how we're feeling.
But what would it look like if a complaint were always coupled with thanksgiving?
That's what I want to do--give thanks for the countless blessings God's given.
And isn't that what our November holiday is all about?
May we remember to thank God not only this month,
but every day of every year for the rest of our short, unpredictable, glorious lives.

1 comment:

Tea with Tiffany said...

I too complain and shouldn't. I'm not proud of it. The only way I know how to stop is to pray. During prayer, I focus on the attributes of God and all the blessings. My salvation, my health, sight, hearing, my two children, husband, my car, Oatmeal Squares to eat, my slippers for my cold feet, my toothbrush.

Slowly after meditating on who God is and what I have because of His grace, I feel thankful, truly thankful.

I'm often convicted about my mouth that blesses one minute and grumbles the next.

Cold turkey, I'll try too. :)