Monday, October 03, 2005

Matthew 16

My devotional times in the mornings usually include reading Scripture and then reflecting on it, usually through prayer. I’m reading through the Psalms and the Gospels. Here’s a little peak:

Matthew 16 (The Message)
18And now I'm going to tell you who you are, really are… 19You will have complete and free access to God's kingdom, keys to open any and every door: no more barriers between heaven and earth, earth and heaven.

Last night J.R. (pastor of Pierced Chapel, http://www.piercedchapel.com, where I am part of the church) said each Jesus-follower is a priest.
Thank you Lord that I have complete and free access to you, which gives an indescribable freedom. Thank you that I can talk to you, and more so, that you speak to me (when I’m willing and able to listen.) May I take my position as a priest seriously, believing that I have an influence and that others are watching. And yet, may I know that this job is not mine to do alone.

As Matthew 16 continues,
24Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. 25Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self.

God, in our self-serving culture, it’s difficult to know what this means and how it looks. Thank you that Jesus displayed it undeniably. I need His and Your help. Please guide me to Your way. May I let you drive. I trust where you’re taking me. I don’t want to play back-seat driver and try to give you directions on where I think my life should go. I know you know best. Please help me give up control. I lay myself on the altar as a living sacrifice. The problem is I have a tendency to daily crawl off the altar and get distracted. Please remind me to die daily to myself. The implications for me will be that I don’t do what I want to do, just because I think it will make me feel good. –Amen

Later in the day a sentence kept running through my head (and I think it relates very well to above verses):
JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD.
A friend is considering a very high-responsibility job offer. I’m trying to put myself in her shoes to be able to give advice. It’s tough, because I know she could do it. It would be a big step in her career, but if she has to sacrifice her whole way of life (the job also includes a move to a different state) would it be worth it? I don't want to say I know what to do, but I know that what seems good, does not always equal should.
On another note, I’ve been pondering relationships with guys and my tendency to become emotionally attached. Well, I won’t elaborate here, but I keep reminding myself, “just because you can does not mean you should.”

No comments: