Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Life's Story

Last night a friend and I went to the $1.50 theater (less money than renting!) to see Stranger Than Fiction, which has become a new favorite. The main character, Harold Crick suddenly starts hearing his life being narrated by the author who’s controlling it. “Little did he know” of his “impending doom.”

When he starts to accept that he’s going to die, Harold starts living the life he’s always wanted. I walked out of the theater challenged to live—really live the rest of my days. I don’t know that I’m going to die soon, but I do know my days are numbered.

I’m glad I know and trust my narrator to create my life story in the most loving way possible.

This morning I read Proverbs and Psalms 13.
Proverbs 13:12 (Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life, NLT) is often quoted, but it particularly struck me in the aftermath of yesterday.

I walked over to the Focus on the Family bookstore and picked up a Brio magazine. I realized this was the issue my sixth (I think?) article appeared—the one they used as part of my job interview last summer.

Once again I questioned why God has placed insurmountable obstacles in front of me and working at what I believe to be my dream job. And my best friend is going on a mission trip with them this summer, but I can’t go because of my current job’s demands.

However, I was encouraged when I read an article in our magazine’s “Why We Do What We Do” section, in which the author had a mission from God, but He kept saying “wait” or “not now” until 12 years later when circumstances lined up and she was ready.

Psalm 13 says: “O Lord, how long will you forget me? …Restore the sparkle to my eyes or I will die…But I trust in your unfailing love.” (1,3,5)

2 comments:

katie said...

I was thinking about the question about insurmountable obstacles. God is indeed a mystery sometimes in the ways that he works with us. Perhaps there are times when he places barriers between us and what we think is best so that we wait for his ever-better plan. You know, the old saying about how it's a good thing we don't get everything we want. Then again, maybe sometimes it's because if the obstacles between us and our dreams are surmountable, we would attain them without knowing anything of God's strength in the process. We'd end up with our dream, and that would be a good thing, but we'd miss out on the Giver and his greatness. Sometimes it seems like it's just for reasons we don't get and might feel like fighting him on. Thankfully he can take our frustrations.

Dream those dreams with hope and passion, but never let your grip on them be tighter than your grip on your Father. I see you striving for that, and I am encouraged by it. I'll be excited to see what he has in store for that beautiful heart of yours.

Olin said...

Pastor quoted the saying today that if your memories are greater than your dreams your a dead man looking for a grave. And one of the guarantees a dreamer has is that there will be opposition from the enemy.