Monday, February 19, 2007

One more reason to stay away from Peter Pan

A salmonella outbreak that has slowly grown to nearly 300 cases in 39 states since August has been linked to tainted peanut butter, the Assoc. Press reported.

The Food and Drug Administration warned consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter because of the risk of contamination.

Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said they believe this to be the first salmonella outbreak associated with peanut butter in U.S. history. How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation.

I am a HUGE fan of peanut butter, so this is kind of scary. However, I'm kind of a peanut butter snob and won't eat the kinds like Peter Pan with lots of sugar and hydrogenated oils. So I see this salmonella incident as just one more reason to stay away!

The affected jars have a product code on the lid that begins with the number "2111," made by ConAgra in a single facility in Sylvester, Ga., the FDA said.

The largest number of salmonella cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee, and Missouri. Symptoms of salmonella can include diarrhea, fever, dehydration, abdominal pain and vomiting. Fun!

4 comments:

katie said...

I have Jiff in my pantry, though I know that doesn't sound much better to you.

When you say, "Stay away from Peter Pan," it sounds bit like you have a fear of a young boy from Neverland.

Don't be afraid. Anyone who hangs around with a fairy named Tinkerbell can't be too bad. Oooh, maybe I take that back.

Remember, you will always have some snob peanut butter reserved for you in my frige...

abbs said...

You're amazing. Like, eh, really, eh really amazing.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Hey there. Thanks for visiting my blog again. I miss our lunches. We need to plan another one.

Olin said...

So your a snob?