Monday, March 12, 2007

Run for One, and then some

Children’s HopeChest (http://www.hopechest.org/) is an organization I’ve been hearing a lot about recently, and God has used them and other circumstances to put orphans on my heart.

The organization recently announced the formation and launch of the Run for One training team which will raise funds and awareness to support orphans in need living in Russia and Swaziland. This year, the team will complete the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach, VA, on September 2, 2007.

Each athlete who signs up for this program will run to benefit one child who is currently participating in a Children’s HopeChest program for orphans. Children’s HopeChest will provide team members with encouragement, monthly training plans, and professional coaching by Lisa Rainsberger, winner of the 1985 Boston Marathon and world class running coach. Rainsberger and her daughter, Meghan, are also participating in the race and raising funds to “run for one.”

Anyone who knows me knows I love to run. In the past I’ve run for fun, mostly for one—myself. After I ran the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in Phoenix, AZ last year I developed sciatica, which prohibited most running. Then a car accident in December 2006 smashed all plans of near-future races.

However, with good chiropractic care, massage therapy, and what I consider a miracle from God, I’m feeling almost at 100%. I’ve been swimming and biking, and even running with little pain. (It’s sitting that’s still a problem—but I can deal with that.)

So, now I’m presented with this opportunity—and it makes me so excited!

I’ve never raised $4,000 before, and that’s probably the most intimidating factor.

I would really appreciate prayer and guidance whether this is where I should focus my time and energy. We’re having a staff informational meeting next week, and CHC is looking for commitments close to that date. Another factor I’m weighing is the desire to go on my first mission trip this year. Can I do both? If I had to choose one opportunity (I don’t have a specific trip picked out, but was considering one with CHC), which should it be?

Your input is appreciated.

Here’s a bit more about Run for One and CHC:
Run for One is being organized in remembrance of Katya Toschakova, a 15-year-old orphan who took her life after entering the outside world without guidance or hope following her departure from a Russian orphanage.

Children’s HopeChest establishes programs for younger children living in orphanages and older children, like Katya, who are navigating the transition into adulthood. These are abandoned children who will never be adopted into families.

HopeChest programs give them ongoing guidance, support, skills, and hope. Without such intervention, these orphans fall into crime, prostitution, drug abuse, alcoholism, or, like Katya, suicide.

2 comments:

katie said...

Aha....this is the opportunity you were talking about. Pretty dern cool. I'll be looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts and praying through it with you.

Rachelle said...

Carrie,
Thanks for the comment on my blog! I couldn't find an email address for you so--sorry to take up space in your comments! Sounds like we enjoy much of the same kind of music. I'll have to start reading your music & culture blog. I'd love a CD if you think it's something I'd enjoy. (The Word Studio, PO Box 670, Monument, CO 80132.) I look forward to reading more of your stuff!