Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The joy of seeing your favorite author

"Reading Lamott is like having a chat with one of the angels, a smarter, wittier one." The Denver Post

Anne Lamott is probably my favorite living author.
And I get to see her speak at my alma mater (Lord willing)!

She will read from her works on Saturday, May 12, at 7:30 p.m. in Cowles Auditorium at Whitworth in Spokane, WA.

My favorite of hers is Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, a guide to writing and the challenges of a writer's life; next favorite is Traveling Mercies, a collection of autobiographical essays on faith. Lamott's new essay collection, Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith, was released in March 2007, and I have yet to read it.

I don't agree with every viewpoint she has, but it's true that Lamott writes and speaks with self-effacing humor and ruthless honesty. Her books are often about loss – loss of loved ones and loss of personal control. She doesn’t try to sugar-coat sadness, frustration and disappointment, but tells her stories with honesty and compassion.

Photo courtesy: Salon.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Carrie I am so glad that you are coming out! I've had Lammott on my calendar for months now- she's one of my favorite authors too. I would love to meet up with you while you're out here...let's figure something out. My email is kskattebo08 at you know the rest.edu

katie said...

That's awesome. It's so cool to see the face and hear the voice behind all those thoughts we underline and wrestle with and let simmer in our domepieces.

When you write a book, this whole notion will be easy for me--dear friend and favorite author, all in one!

Rachelle said...

Wow, that is going to be so much fun! I love hearing my favorite authors speak. Have a great time!

Tea with Tiffany said...

I've tagged you to play another game. See my blog for details