Monday, May 07, 2007

Goodbye Chewy

God has been engraining Psalm 90:12 into me this year:

"Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom."

Last week a dear coworker/friend let us know he is dying.

Then, Friday, my baby, my dog, Chewy passed into what I hope is dog heaven.

If anyone deserves to be there, I think it's her. She lasted 14 years despite having her hips broken twice-- amazing for a lab/German Shepard.

She was my first puppy and she kept me going with her smiley face and wagging tail.

In my teen years she licked away tears from my face when things were stressful at school and with friends who didn't love me nearly as unconditionally as she did.

When I went off to college and then came home for visits, she never forgot me and didn't hold it against me for leaving. Every time I came home she would rush to greet me. Even as she got older she did her best to go running with me--even if it meant she couldn't walk the next day.

I wish I had the puppy pictures to show you, but these are the last couple times I got to spend with her:














Not that she could ever be replaced, but I'm looking forward to getting a dog here in Colorado.

Here are some quotes I like about dogs:

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only
will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. –Samuel Butler

We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. –Gene Hill

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France

Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative. –Mordecai Siegal

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does. –Christopher Morley

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. –Gilda Radner

3 comments:

katie said...

That is one darn cute dog, and that's coming from me! Seriously...so cute. Makes me sad, friend. I'll be excited to see when you can get a new dog for me to tolerate...and eventually learn to even love! Hee hee. Kidding.

But judging by the pictures, I think Chewy would have taken me from toleration to love in about 2 minutes.

Jubz said...

Great dogs by all accounts! No one I know ever regretted owning one.

Olin said...

Sorry I broke the news to you so abrubtly.